Kentico Content Management System is a piece of software that allows users to update and maintain a website, without needing to have any in-depth knowledge of coding.
Kentico 8 utilizes a new UI (User Interface) design to easily locate site features and CMS options and decreases the number of pages the user needs to navigate from to locate where they need to go. This helps users locate where they need to go with clear section titles and icons displayed as soon as the user enters the CMS. While the previous Kentico 7 was compatible for them, widgets are commonly used in Kentico 8 subpages, giving even more options for site flexibility and page customization. Since its release in March 31st, 2014, there have been two major updates to Kentico 8: version 8.1 in August 22nd, 2014 and version 8.2 in January 6th, 2015. For further information to help you determine if Kentico is right for your business needs, check out our article “What is Kentico”.
Despite its multitude of update releases, the core of Kentico 8’s functionality was pulled from the previous Kentico 7, but included new features and functionality such as:
- CMS page breadcrumbs
- Applying workflows to specific pages
- Application list for easy section viewing
- Design view to edit page templates
- See the full list of the new Kentico 8 features here
The system requirements to locally install Kentico 8 are:
- Operating system: Windows 7 or newer
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 or higher
- Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.5 or higher, or Visual Studio/Visual Web Developer server 2012 or higher
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 or higher
Hosting requirements for Kentico 8 are:
- Medium or full-trust permissions for the ASP.NET application
- If the server uses medium trust ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 must be installed on the server
- It's recommended that your hosting area has at least 10GB (or more) of hard drive space free for the CMS and database
Kentico 8 Vulnerabilities
- Due to security purposes, Kentico does not disclose functionality vulnerabilities for their CMS to the public. They can be, however, contacted about discovered issues to be patched through their Submit a Support Issue form page.
- The latest hotfixes for each of the Kentico 8 versions are:
- Kentico 8.0: hotfix 8.0.21 was released on August 21st, 2014
- Kentico 8.1: hotfix 8.1.17 was released on December 19th, 2014
- Kentico 8.2: hotfix 8.2.48 was released on December 4th, 2015
Unless there is a major vulnerability reported, there are no more plans for any future patches to any of the Kentico 8 versions to be made.
- Server and hosting requirements
- New Kentico 8 Features
- Kentico 8.1 Release Notes
- Kentico 8.2 Release Notes
If you have any questions, please call us at 216.391.2255 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.